Sunday, October 17, 2010

S.S.S.M.

And what you say is an S.S.S.M?

SUPER SONIC SENIOR MOMENT.......

So here is story number one from the Marburger show. Let me preface it by saying this was not my most intelligent action and I highly recommend that you don't try this at home...

I can't begin to tell you why I adopted this practice but rather than mix the checks customers had written with the cash in my little bag I carry, I had started stamping the back with my bank stamp and then putting them in a zippered bank bag and stashing them under my counter... I can literally hear the eye rolling guys...

The bag was tucked under some stuff and myself or Mr. Sweet Pea are always in the booth behind the counter. The show starts on Tuesday and Mr. Pea makes a bank run on Wednesday so by Thursday when this happened the bag had checks from Wednesday only. I had finished a transaction where a check was written and as usual I stamped the back and reached for the bag...

NOT THERE.

I literally felt the booth spin around me. I had no idea how much was in the bag in total but I knew I had done at least two large sales the day before. I was also sure that I had taken a check that day as well. Once I had gotten the attention of Mr. Sweet Pea, he and my besty Calvin literally went on a search and rescue mission for my bag as they thought maybe it fell into the shopping bag of the customer who had just left. I was sure it hadn't but their efforts were appreciated all the same.

In the meantime I asked a shuttle driver to alert the sheriff on the show grounds and ask one of them to come to the booth. As I waited I called my bank and put an alert on the account and waited in anguish over the money I had so stupidly lost.

In minutes not one but four deputies were standing in the opening of the booth. I explained what had happened and one of them asked for my driver's license to make a report. I got my purse, opened it to get my wallet and... you know what I'm going to say don't you? Again with the eye rolling?

THE BANK BAG... I had never gotten it out of my purse though I was sure I had. For a split second I considered acting like I didn't see it to save face. But I swallowed what little pride I had left and turned holding it in the air to face four sheriff's deputies looking at me like the airhead I was.

Okay so I know it turned out well and what's a little egg on your face right? The moral of the story is I learned a huge lesson and I hope my sharing this with you might prevent a disaster for one of you.

PS~All checks are now tucked safely away with the money in my trusty little purse that I carry right on me. All's well that ends well...

16 comments:

Polly said...

I'm so glad you found it Shelley! My heart skipped a beat just reading this!!! I have moments like this sometimes with my wallet and my darn keys get lost daily!! So don't feel bad!

Have a great week!

:-)

Polly

Donna Reyne' said...

Wow!
You had me a little sick with nerves as I was reading this!
I am so glad everything worked out!
I know that these things happen and often because I too have done it!
At least everything worked out !
Have a wonderful week!
Hugs my friend,
Donna

Tammy said...

OMG I would have panicked also. So, glad you found it. That must have been terrifying.
tammy

trash talk said...

For anyone doing a show as large as this one, there isn't aren't words to express the feelings that run over a vendor when something like this happens. It is a sick to the stomach, head reeling experience. So glad it turned out well. I was getting nervous reading!
Debbie
P.S. Remind me to tell you the one about the bag (not mine) left in the port-a-potties!

Unknown said...

I am glad it all worked out. I can tell you that I run around with a chicken with my head cut off....and something like this always happens to get mis-placed! AFTER THE FREAK OUT...I swear that next time I am going to be more organized. RIGHT! wrong! I am soooo happy all is well!

Carole said...

I can't tell you how many times something like this happens to me.
Usually dealing with money or keys.
This morning it was the keys! Not a big deal except that I was 2 hrs from home and with some else too.
All ended well like your story.
You were brave to own up to your mistake.
No problem eggs are good for you:)
xx
C

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Oh Shelley...so glad this story had a happy ending! Thanks for sharing!

Heaven's Walk said...

That's how we get our gray hairs, you know.....

lol!

xoxo laurie

Anonymous said...

Phew... that was a close one, Shelley! So GLAD all turned out well. Don't feel bad... fellow airhead here... I probably would have done the same thing! haha!
Have a great day!
Hugs~ Jo

" SHABBY JUNK" said...

yIKES! IT all ended well. I did something similar with my debit card. My heart was pounding and I was sweating and feeling sick. All ended well also.

Cathy said...

So glad all turned out good!! That is an awful feeling! This past month in Canton, we thought we had lost $1,400.00 dollars and did not find it until a week later....after lost sleep, and lot's of stress, it was tucked behind our cash drawer in the register!!! Soooooo, it happens to all of us sometime or another! Could it be this business we are in?? LOL
Cathy aka GGJ

north pal said...

oh whew! i held my breath as you wrote and goosebumps appeared and i got this sick feeling. but, i am so relieved to read the rest. why is it that money can get us riled up? everyone knows that feeling of it lost. so glad there is a good side to this story.Bestest,Denise

Lisa said...

Shelley,
OMG, I just wet my pants I'm laughing so hard. I've done the same thing, glad to know it was a senior moment & not a brain problem for me! Lisa

Darlie said...

Just found your blog. Im breathless.

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

Shelley, it could happen to anyone. Thank God everything turned out in the end, red face and all :)

Lauri Evans said...

Oh, Shelley, the drama was actually pretty exciting. Except for the feeling of hurt I had for you and thinking that I surely could have done something just like that. Isn't it weird how you can just convince yourself that you did something you never did. Anyway so glad it was a happy ending. Miss you, lauri

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...