Monday, December 28, 2009

Free On Curb

That's what the ad on Craigslist said... This antique Eastlake dresser will be on the curb at 7am Monday morning. Original mirror. Needs work, great restored. Free.

In a neighborhood less than ten minutes from my home... So Mr. Sweet Pea and I head there this am at 6:30 in case they put it out earlier. When we pull in there is already competition circling the neighborhood. Okay that doesn't scare us. The house number was not given~~only the street name. But this street happened to be a big circle through the entire neighborhood. At first, our competition followed behind us. I thought, wow are we going to have to tussle for this? So we turned around and headed the other direction.

So here we are, at 6:40am circling for the elusive free dresser. Giving the stare down to the other guy as he passes us for the 30th time. And then, the unexpected... A third truck gets into the action. Yikes I thought, this could get ugly. Luckily this guy doesn't have the staying power and leaves after one lap.

Okay it's finally 7am... No dresser. Still circling. 7:05. Still circling. No dresser. 7:10. Still circling. Going a little faster now. No dresser. And then we get a break! The competition has had enough and leaves! Wimp.

7:15. We circle two more times. No dresser. Okay we give. We leave never laying eyes on the free antique Eastlake dresser that needs work. Did someone contact the owner the day before and pick it up? Did they oversleep? Were they playing a prank and watching to see how many lunatics would circle and for long? We'll never know...

Free on curb... Hmmmmm...

9 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh, dear! What excitement only to drive away with nothing but a good story. I wonder... ~Mindy

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Oh, I am sorry. I was waiting to see your great find. Probably someone got it earlier is my guess!
There will be another. There is ALWAYS another!

My Grama's Soul said...

Your post today, cracked me up. I LOVE FREE STUFF.

I know you must have been disappointed when it did not materialize. Next time!!

Blessings,

Jo

trash talk said...

Maybe it was too cold for the owner to drag it out...I'd check later if I were you. Or maybe he didn't want to get a ticket for inciting a riot! LOL
Debbie

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Sounds like it could be either....anyway, you gave it your all. It just wasn't meant to be.~Patti

Susie~From My Home To Yours said...

Well, I'm almost laughing too hard to type here! Too funny. So, did Rex keep his cool, calm demeanor during your am adventure?

Hope you guys at least stopped for breakfast afterwards!

Enjoyed seeing ya'll yesterday....still haven't filled the cupboard yet!

CYA soon,
Susie

Lisa said...

Oh NO! Sorry it was for nothing! I bet they didn't get up!!
Hugs, Lisa

pam q said...

Love the story!

(And I read your follow-up, so I know how it turned out....)

We have fun from time to time putting "stuff" out on the curb with a big FREE sign and then going back in the house, watching out the window and timing to see how long it takes before someone stops....

It usually isn't very long!

city hen said...

In Germany they have days where the entire community puts out all their unwanted but useable items...SO MUCH LOOT! We found pottery, antique dressers, mirrors, rugs...Love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...