Wednesday, January 26, 2011

SEARCH AND RESCUE

All is not lost on my faux pas of yesterday...

I sent out a couple of emails in search of tips and lifelines after stupidly deleting MANY comments on some recent posts. In case you missed it...

I love love love crossing stuff off lists, cleaning clutter from closets, emptying my inbox...

Soooo I was poking around in my blog (note to self, stop poking around in my blog) and I had opened my dashboard. And so there in comments are all the comments I have ever received. I thought why do I need all these, they are on the posts on my blog right? So I started deleting them 25 at a time...

Gasp.

Thank goodness I stopped out of boredom and distraction. Can you imagine if I had powered through all three thousand and some comments and deleted all of them???

Fast forward to today.

I found a link on google. What did we do before google? A kind techno savvy person explained how to undo this mess I made. To a point. I was able to recover the comments still in my email account and repost them one by one.

It was so worth it.

I didn't recover all I lost and sadly there are two posts with no comments on them at all. One is my day spent with LAURA from 52 FLEA and her sis LYNN and SUSIE from FROM MY HOME TO YOURS. Well I have the pics and the memories. That's what I get for being such a cleaner upper.

I promise this is my last post beating myself up over this. Thanks to everyone who tried to help and who offered their thoughts.

Spilt milk right?

16 comments:

Sue (Vintage Rescue) said...

yay! and that's the right attitude: lesson learned. Maybe the universe is telling us NOT to declutter? XOX

Leo said...

That is a bummer - but at least you got some back!! Thank goodness for that!

Karen said...

Good! you were able to save most of them. I'm glad you gave me the heads up on this. I would have had a melt down if that happened to me, and would not have had a clue what to do. I know now not to try this at home LOL.

Anne Marie said...

no worries...

off to shop at your Etsy :)

Barbara Jean said...

Funny I just saw this.

I have lost all the comments on several of my recent posts.
I did not do a thing. One day they were there, the next, gone!
Since I do not keep the emails when they come, I guess they are just gone. But I did not do it!!

I have post up wondering if anyone else has mysteriously lost comments.

I may checkout how you got yours back, but if it is through email, no good for me.
I'm really bummed. Like someone took something special away.

thanks for listening.

barbara jean

Vintage Gal said...

Thank goodness you retrieved some of the messages...I certainly have learned from you and thank you ~ I probably would have done the same thing ;-)

High Street Cottage said...

Shelly, this makes me so glad I read your blog. I have already enjoyed those posts with all their glorious comments. They're burned in my memory ;) And now you can move forward and make new ones. I recall Sarah over at a Beach Cottage having lost some things and there was a couple days of pure panic, not sure how she recovered them, but she does not have the google blooger I think she has her own set up. You could always email her and ask. She might have a tip or two up her sleeve. xoxo tami

Mary Ann Pickett said...

OH..you make me feel so much better about my blunders with my blog. I feel for you.
Mary ann

Petit Coterie said...

It's always good to learn from our mistakes, but remember that we are all only human so we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves. Glad you were able to retrieve some of them.

xx,
Michelle

Bohemian said...

I'm only smiling because now I don't feel like the Lone Ranger... earlier I ran out of photo storage space and being cheap... umm, I mean frugal... I decided I could just delete them from my photo storage and they would still be saved in my Blog... NOPE... doesn't work quite like that and I too spend a tenuous time recovering and reposting as much as humanly possible. *le sigh* All was not lost, but most was... hard lesson learned... and the kicker... extra mega storage space was a mere five bucks A YEAR!!! I had erroneously assumed it would be costly... ah, well, we live and learn... Dawn... The Bohemian

Rebecca said...

You are brave, I don't even go into anything in the background, I am too afraid of messing everything up! Good you got some of it back anyway.
Have a wonderful day
Rebecca

The Flying Bee said...

So glad you were able to get some back!

Have a great weekend!

Cabin 19 Supply Company said...

Awwww, you sweet thing you! So sorry that happened to you. The blogging friendships we make are real and I can see it would be devastating to lose those comments! So glad you were able to recover them!!

June said...

I am so glad to read this Shelley. And it SHOULD be comforting to know that others have done this before (or no one would have bothered to let anyone know how to restore them) somehow that would make me feel so much better.LOL!
Yes, thank goodness for Google search.
Have a great week cleaning (closets)
sending hugs...

savvycityfarmer said...

sick feeling ...
oh gee ...

whew ... recovered ...
whew

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Never fear! We will not soon forget our day together and me thinks we will have some more good times to post about in the future!
:) Laura

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...