Monday, February 15, 2010

18 Years And Counting

 

Posted by Picasa

Today marks 18 years of marriage for Mr. Sweet Pea and I.

We started as friends in 1989 and remained so for a couple of years. Then he went off to Desert Storm and I went on with my life. I would call his room at the base once in awhile to see if he was back. We didn't correspond while he was gone. One day I called and the line was busy...

It could be him or it could be his roommate...

It was him. He was back and finally getting his discharge, months overdue. He was moving to the St. Pete area to live with a friend he grew up with in West Virginia. We talked for a long time and then as we all casually do and never expect it to happen, I invited him to come to Winter Park sometime and we'd get together. Nothing intended, just friends...

One month later the phone rang... It was him. He and his friend were coming to Orlando for the weekend. I asked a friend of mine to go. The whole time I was asking myself "Is this a date?". It felt different.

It was.

Less than two months later he moved to Winter Park. With me. That next February we made it official. We said "I do".

And 18 years later we are still saying it...

Happy anniversary Mr. Sweet Pea. I love you...

23 comments:

Annie said...

Happy anniversary to you two!

Anne Lorys said...

Awww, what a wonderful post! And don't y'all looks cute?

Will Mr. Pea be at Antiques Week with you? Hope to meet you both!

XO,
Anne

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

What a sweet story, but I must say, I don't know about the friends thing, wink, Mr. SP was too cute to remain long on the market and Ms. SP I do believe saw that, right! You two make such a cute couple, even after 18 years together. Happy Happy Anniversary!! And I thought we were the only ones that took pics like the one you posted. Have a great day, T

stefanie said...

so sweet!!! Have a wonderful anniversary!!!

sweetpea said...

Hello Anne. Mr. Sweet Pea will definitely be there!

Hugs,

Shelley

Susie~From My Home To Yours said...

Congratulations "Sweetpeas"....have a great day. It's obvious that you two were made for each other!

XXOO
Susie

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Polly said...

Happy Anniversary!

A Wild Thing said...

The tulips just brought a little tear to my eye...congrats and many more to come!!!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Happy Anniversary and what a darling picture!!

Becky said...

Love hearing your story, So very Sweet. Happy Anniversary to the Happy Couple.

Smiles,
Becky

time worn interiors said...

Love the picture, what a hoot! You guys look like you belong in that time! Rex, the ruff and tumble cowboy all dressed up! And you, the sweet belle of the west!

Happy Aniversary!

TOT

Catherine said...

Congratulations ~ what a cute couple and such a romantic story!

Wendy said...

What a beautiful story! Happy Anniversary!
18 years...that is awesome :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the 18 years. It's amazing when that different feeling leads to a lifelong love!

Rae said...

Happy Anniversary! I hail from Texas and new to your blog.... so glad I stopped by.Looking forward to more visits.

Cassie said...

I love a good love story...Happy Anniversary!
Love your new header pic too...fabulous.

Lisa said...

Shelley,
Very cool courtship story. Ya'll look so cute all vinty'd up. And BTW, love the new header! Lisa

June said...

What a darling picture Shelley. That is such a sweet happily ever after story. I never tire of them.
hugs

Petit Coterie said...

What a wonderful post! Happy Anniversary! Wishing you another 18 years.

xx, Michelle

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

Happy Anniversary to the Sweet Peas!

Val said...

what a lovely blog that I just found,I love everything!
val

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Ahhhh.....Happy Anniversary.. I love a good love story.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...