Tuesday, January 17, 2012

GOT SOUP?

Tomorrow is National Soup Day...

Who knew?

In honor of this newly discovered holiday I'd like to share a recipe for a delicious soup that I made a couple of days ago. Luckily, I had one bowl left so that I could get a pic for you!

This recipe is from my increasingly dog~eared copy of 

VEGAN ON THE CHEAP

by

ROBIN ROBERTSON


PEANUTTY PUMPKIN STEW

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 med onion, chopped
1 med carrot, chopped
1 med potato, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (16 oz) can solid~pack pumpkin
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp hot or mild curry powder (I used mild)
2 cups vegetable stock
1 (15.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4 oz) can hot or mild green chiles drained
1 cup thawed frozen peas
1/4 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley

1.  In a large pot, heat the oil over med heat. Add the onion, carrot, potato, and garlic. Cover and cook until soft, about 7 min.

2.  Stir in the tomatoes, pumpkin, peanut butter, soy sauce, curry powder, and stock, stirring after each addition until well blended. Add the beans and chiles and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the stew is hot and the flavors are blended, about 20 minutes.

3.  Shortly before serving stir in the peas. Serve hot, garnished with the peanuts and parsley.

Enjoy!! It's really yummy!

HAPPY NATIONAL SOUP DAY!

17 comments:

Debbie said...

I am so going to make this tomorrow!!!
I'll let you know how it goes over, it looks amazing!!
Thanks for sharing!!
xoxo
debbie

Polly said...

looks yummy....i guess i should plan to make some soup tomorrow!!

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Oh that looks and sounds divine...made my hungry!! x0x0

NanaDiana said...

OMGOSH-That looks delicious- Tomorrow is National Soup Day? Who knew...well, obiviously YOU did!;>) xo Diana

Dawn Williams said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Dawn Williams said...

Yummy! Thank you for sharing this recipe! Looks like I'm making soup tomorrow!

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

We've been eating soup all week up north...so cold. This recipe has sounds delicious! But tonight I arrived in Florida and had a skinny Margarita instead! :)

June said...

This sounds so good Shelley. I will be trying this one soon. It's always soup time at my house.
sending big, big hugs and love...

trash talk said...

Mmmm soup...it's what's for dinner!
Isn't that how the old ad used to go? I'm a nut for soup and this looks wonderfully warm and tasty, but Laura's "soup" sounds pretty good too 'specially served up FL!
Debbie

Lauri Evans said...

OMG Shelley, that looks so good!!! You need to do a cookbook. Your photos are awesome. L

flowerlady464 said...

I love soup in the winter and this recipe is something a little different...will definitely try it soon! Now about those change at your house....inquiring minds want to know!

sweetpea said...

I promise my first room redo is coming soon! Waiting on new curtains from pottery barn. Can't wait to show you!

flowerlady464 said...

I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

Dawn Williams said...

Good Morning! So glad to hear you will be joining us for the Mt. Dora Art Fest...that's great news! It's all very exciting.. :)

Hope to see you soon...take care...

Cassie

Evi said...

funny, did not know there was a national soup day...but we had homemade chicken rice soup today.
I am a day early...
Warm wihes, Evi

Anne Lorys said...

This looks wonderful!

You know what?
I've been thinking how fabulous it would be if you could come to the fashion show at Carol Hicks Bolton's shop....it just won't seem right without you there in your beautiful Pearl duds!

XOXO,
Anne

Elizabeth Maxson said...

I am a big soup lover. That sounds great! I hope all is well with you. Thanks for sharing and thinking of you.

Big hug
Elizabeth :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...